10 Questions with Novelist Kai Mann (@Kaiology)



This Author Spotlight features Michigan-based novelist Kai Mann.


Kai Mann is the author of 30 DAY NOTICE (see above), a novel published under the Scriblical Vibez Publishing brand. Kai is also an independent contract writer for Examiner.com as the Detroit’s Best Friend Examiner. As a contributor to the poetry community, Kai’s online poetry blog Kaiology Wet Your Intellectual Taste Buds is where she purposefully inspires thought pertaining to the themes of love, friendship, self-love, and self-progression. As the writer for the Scriblical Vibez blog, Kai’s mission is to contribute inspiring content that not only promotes self-growth, but also content that inspires a vibrational change through written word.



1. How did you get into writing?
I have been writing ever since I could hold a pencil. As a young child you could find me sitting in my room reading a book or writing poetry. Somewhere around the age of twelve I decided that one day I was going to write a book. I never knew what I would write about but I just knew that I would. A child-hood friend had been reading some of my poetry posts on facebook and suggested that I start blogging. I think she believed in me more than I did myself; however, I decided to take her up on the challenge. Professionally I got into writing in 2009 when she later suggested I write for examiner.com. While writing for examiner I began writing 30 Day Notice.


2. What do you like best (or least) about writing? 
What I like most about writing is that I can put my thoughts down just to get them out of my head and later share my writing with others.


3. What is your writing process? IE do you outline? Do you stick to a daily word or page count, write 7 days a week, etc?
I am not yet regimented in my writing. I write as thoughts come to me.  I write on stickies, in journals, and in the note section of my phone until I can get to my laptop or computer to put all my ideas down into a particular format. I’ve been to writing conferences and seminars that suggest that you have a daily word count goal but for some reason I cannot be creative that way.


4. Who are some other writers you read and admire, regardless of whether they are commercially “successful?”
I admire the writings of Christopher Rice, Iyanla Vanzant, Terry McMillan, Nikki Giovanni, James Baldwin, Maya Angelou, and the late E. Lynn Harris.


5. Should the question mark in the above question be inside or outside the quotes?
Outside.


6. What’s your stance on the Oxford Comma?
I don’t know that I have a stance on the Oxford Comma but it makes perfect sense to place a comma before using and. My belief is that it may be less confusing to the reader.


7. What is your book 30 Day Notice about and how did it come to fruition?
30 Day Notice is about a woman’s journey after she has been given a 30 day notice from her lover. It’s about love, relationships, friendships, betrayal, spirituality, self-reflection, and ultimately growth. The book references all the notices that we receive in relationships and life in general; and how we overlook those notices because we get distracted by something or someone.  30 Day Notice came into fruition one day when I was forced to think about distractions and notices that I received in my own life and in the lives of others. I thought that some of the lessons learned could be an example to someone else. Hence, 30 Day Notice was born.


8. What’s your current writing project?
Currently I am working on the second installment in the Eviction Chronicles series which is a novel about the perceptions of abandonment. I am also working on a book of poetry titled In My Mother’s House.


9. What book(s) are you currently reading?
Currently I am reading  Think and Grow Rich, A Black Choice by Dennis Kimbro and Napoleon Hill


10. Who or what inspires your writing?
I’d have to say that the Creator inspires me to write. The closer I get to the spirit side of myself the more I want to write about it.


Finally, is there anything you’d care to add? Please also include where people can read your published stories, buy your book, etc.
30 Day Notice can be purchased in eBook format at Amazon.com, BarnesandNoble.com, and Smashwords.com


To purchase 30 Day Notice in paperback, visit scriblicalvibez.com and Amazon.com as well. Visit http://www.examiner.com/friendship-in-detroit to read my Detroit Best Friends articles. For a new and interesting way to look at different situations in life, check out my writing for Scriblical Vibez at www.scriblicalvibez.com/blogstuff. To learn more about me and to read my online blog poetry you can visit my website at http://kai-mann.com


Thank you, Kai. The book looks great and I really like your message/themes of love, friendship, and self-love. The world can always use more of such things. Let us know when the second book in the EVICTIONS trilogy is available.


Pick up a copy of 30 DAY NOTICE on Amazon today!
And follow Kai on Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/Kaiology


Finally, take another look at the cover art for 30 DAY NOTICE. I'd looked at it perhaps 20 times before I saw it, before I truly SAW it. Nice work, Kai.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Catching Up With Writer Roy Huff @realroyhuff

10 Questions with Thriller Writer C.W. Lemoine (@CWLemoine)

10 Questions with Author Sandra Glosser (@baccibone1)